Quinoa cookies make a great make-ahead breakfast. They're quick to make, and freeze well, so all you gotta do is pop a couple in the oven in the AM, and enjoy a whole grain, fruity, delicious brekkie! I considered making these like a pancake, but I am not a fan of standing over a pan and waiting to flip each individual pancake! Baking them all at once works terrifically, and there's hardly any labour involved in making these!
Quinoa is a cool food, because it's high in both protein and fibre, plus loaded with antioxidants and nutrients. It's really easy to prepare (like this super easy lunch idea). I usually make my grains on the stove-top, but experimented in the microwave, and was super impressed that it really worked, and how easy it was! *Caution* cover your bowl when microwaving; I made a bit of mess.
I often crave savoury food for breakfast (especially when I've had lots of sweet food the day before), so I opted out of using sugar in these cookies, depending on the sweetness from the almond milk and fruit, but you can experiment with the sweetness, and/or savoury-ness (notice the black pepper and cayenne here😉).
Do you prefer sweet or savoury breakfasts? Comment below!
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup mixed berries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine quinoa with milk and microwave covered 6 minutes
- About half the liquid should be absorbed by now. Stir & return to microwave for 2 minutes
- Remove from microwave and allow to sit 5-10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Add in all ingredients and combine
- Form into medium sized cookies
- Bake for , remove from oven to cool.