Apple and cinnamon is one of my favorite autumn flavour combinations. Apples are in season, and they just scream for cinnamon!
In my family, muffin tops are a hot-commodity, so when making these cookies, I tried for a fluffy muffin consistency. The secret is to barely mix the batter (similar to a muffin batter), and to wet your hands when forming the cookies because it's super sticky.
I can't be the only one who thinks cookies for breakfast needs to become mainstream right?! Well here's my contribution to that good fight; a low sugar and fat cookie. Pair it with some yogurt for a perfect morning meal 😃
I was honestly shocked how fast this batch went. 8-year-old M couldn't get enough of them as an after school snack, and the rest of the family literally (I don't use that word lightly) snapped them up.
Apple Cinnamon Muffin Top Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 small apple
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Mix in wet ingredients until just combined being careful not to overmix
- Wet hands to form medium sized balls- it’s a very wet mixture
- Bake for 15-18 minutes Yield: 20 cookies.